Thursday, December 15, 2011

The 11th Day of Christmas: Glass Block Nativity


I'm so excited!  I had to keep it a secret until today but now I get to tell.  I entered my piano into a DIY contest on the QC Design School Facebook page a few weeks ago and found out on Monday that I was chosen to be one of the 5 finalists.  The winner gets a new Fujifilm digital camera.  However, the person who wins will be the person who's project gets the most votes on Facebook.  So, pretty please vote for my turquoise piano on their FB page.  Click on this link http://www.facebook.com/QCDesign?sk=app_95936962634 then "vote now," and then vote for the piano.  THANKS!

Okay, onto the my 11th DIY decor day of Christmas: Glass Block Nativity.  I learned about this project four years ago from my mom.  Her church group did it as an activity and she got one for me and my sister-in-law to do too.  Then last year I was in charge of the same sort of activity with my own church group and I decided to make them.  

You need three glass blocks (I used one 8x8x4 and two 6x8x4 blocks).  You can get them at almost any craft store but they are kind of pricey, even with coupons, so I just got mine at Lowe's.  The difference is that those at the craft store have a hole in the bottom and you can put lights inside, which is pretty cool but not enough for me to pay 3 times what it cost at Lowe's, ya know?

Here they are before the nativity is finished.  I guess the wise men don't know which way to go because there isn't a baby yet.  I just want to tell them that He'll be in the center!  Don't leave!

I had a friend cut out the vinyl because I don't have any of the machines that do that kind of thing.  I think she drew it herself but there are some apps (or whatever they're called -- again, I don't have a machine) with the nativity.


All you do is peel it off and stick it on the glass.

And now everyone knows which way to go.

Have a great day and please please please vote for my piano!!!


Linking up at the great Linky parties found at the bottom of the blog.  They are where I find most of my inspiration!  Check them out!

plus

14 comments:

  1. Those are wonderful! You can never have too many Nativities, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! Congrats on being a finalist! Going to vote right now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I like those a lot, great way to display a Nativity without a bunch of figurines to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so unusual and so effective - never seen anything like it. Have to make a note of it. I am sure it would look stunning with lights inside but certainly not worth paying more for. I will vote for you - I am also currently a student of QC. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely idea; I bet this is so pretty in evening time when lights are low and shining through the glass!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow your nativity is so pretty! Love it.

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the best craft projects I've ever seen! And yes, I will vote for your turquoise piano. In fact, I have a similar player piano that I may paint a bright color and move it into a starring role in my living room. Great idea! Thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas. ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful project. I love nativities and really like how the light shines through (you don't need a light inside). Lovely! Off to vote for your piano!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out absolutely beautifully! I love the simplicity of the glass blocks with the black shapes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home and have a very Merry Christmas!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really, really want to make this now...it's absolutely gorgeous! My mother collects nativities and I know she'd just love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely love your projects. I am behind on blog reading this month and I am so sorry I didn't read this sooner or I would definitely have voted for your fabulous piano. I'm thinking you will be a contender even without my vote though. This nativity project is also uber cool and I love your writing. I enjoy when it all comes together... the pictures, fun and witty writing and a great project. That is what makes a great blog and you have that here.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...